Friday, March 30, 2012

Apologia Overview

Lately, I find myself recommending Apologia in a lot of different places. We started using this last year and I plan on my children using it straight through high school. I actually have a plan written up outlining which books we'll be using from now til 2024. It's impressive.
There are many reasons we all love this curriculum. I'll outline my three biggest loves:

1. Conversational: I'm still using the elementary series with my three youngest children which requires me to read aloud to them twice a week. These texts are written so easily, so naturally, that I often find myself addressing my children with a question, and when I look back at the text, it's the very next sentence. The concepts are broken down to terms and concepts that children from 5-11 can understand, which is good, because my children are 5-11.
2. Biblical: These books are full of scientific evidence for creation. This is fabulous. Apologetics is as much a part of this curriculum as science, but niether are watered down.
3. Affordable: If you know me, you'll know this is one of my favorite words, along with economical, cheap and free. The elementary books retail for around $40, but I buy mine on CBD for $27. Since I'm using the book with three children, that's $9 a year for an absolutely smashing program. I have been adding a lapbook from Knowledge Box Central each year to really round out the experience. To download these as an E-book costs around $16. I can then store on my computer or jump drive and print the necessary pages when needed. The best kept secret about Apologia is their absolutely mind-blowing generosity. If you go to the page of the particular elementary book you want to use, you can access a FREE (remember? One of my favorite words?) course notebook and course flashcards for printing. Next year I will be using this free notebook with my 1st, 3rd and 6th graders in lieu of a lapbook.
The middle school and high school materials, though pricier, are also worth every penny. My son used General Science this year, also with a Knowledge Box Central lapbook which had three sections: journaling, lap booking and lab reports. I found it to be a fantastic transition between elementary and high school, doing his science independent of me.

2 comments:

  1. Good choice for high school! My 3 kids have graduated and all successfully completed 4 yrs of high school science w/Apologia and found themselves very prepared for CLEP tests and college sciences; 1 is a nurse and one is an EMT, so far. We used Physical Sci, Bio, Advanced Bio and Chemistry. We chose the Advanced Bio route over Physics- but if I had a mathy non-medical student, I would go the Physics route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to know as I have one "mathy non-medical" and one very biology oriented.

    ReplyDelete