Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading: Introduction and Level 1

This will be long. Bear with me.
I find myself recommending this program frequently, and since I have much to say about it, typing the same things over and over again. I'm going to put all my thoughts here as a place to send folks who are interested in Phonics Road.
In 2005, my oldest son was finishing up second grade. I had taken a very relaxed approach to Language Arts up to this point. My son had learned to read with virtually no effort on my part, quite literally by watching Between the Lions. By second grade, with no formal phonics lessons, he was reading books like My Side of the Mountain. But he couldn't spell to save his life.

I realized there was something wrong with my approach. So, like anything else in my life, I started researching and praying. I was looking for a Language Arts program that was all-inclusive. I didn't want to have to piece-meal phonics from this place, handwriting from here, grammar from over there. And how would literature tie in? I needed it all in one place
I looked into Alpha Omega Lifepacs and other boxed curriculum. After reading reviews til I was cross-eyed, I concluded these were not for us. I wanted something meatier.
One day while looking through a copy of The Old Schoolhouse magazine, I saw a small, inconspicuous ad for a program called The Phonics Road. I'd never heard of it before. After reading the description and watching the demo on the website, I was sold. Mrs. Beers hit the nail on the head with her introductory statement, "Great spellers are always great readers, but great readers are often weak spellers!" This was exactly the problem I had with my son! I had been expecting him to learn spelling and grammar through osmosis by reading great books. It was not working. But I could totally see this program working. I was right, and as you read my review, you'll see why. The only drawback I can find is the program is very teacher-intensive. As a former English teacher, this doesn't bother me as of course I think Language Arts is super duper important! I simply can't see a child learning Language Arts properly while being self-directed. For our homeschool, we've determined that Language Arts will be our most teacher-intensive subject, and we do not regret this decision.
This little tidbit is relevent to all the levels and pertains to the theory involved in this curriculum. The spelling tests are spread throughout the year and are not your normal tests. The student does not study a list of words. This will be difficult concept for some parents to understand, but it makes so much sense to me now. Rather, you test the students (I test mine at the same time using one list. It's easier that way.) using a carefully scaled list of words. The number correct is on a provided chart that tells you the grade level at which they are spelling. To brag on Mrs. Beers, my 7 year old in second grade just took a test and scored at the 4.5 grade level. The reason for testing this way is to see the true level at which your child is comprehending spelling rules rather than seeing how well they can memorize a list of words. Studying for a test is a completely different skill set than understanding phonics rules. (See below for a special note concerning spelling tests.)
There are four levels in the elementary program, and three in the middle/high school program titled The Latin Road (which my oldest son will start next year). Here are reviews of each elementary level:

Level 1: Many people assume this is "First Grade", but I would stress with this program, do not equate levels with grades. Yes, each level is structured beautifully to be completed in one year, but that is not necessary for everyone. In fact, I urge you to take your time with each level. Because my son was starting Level 1 as a third grader, we flew through, and he has subsequently done a level per year. But with my three younger children, who are starting the program around 5 or 6 (instead of 9 like my oldest), I take my ever-lovin' sweet time. This program is so rich, deep and awesome (like chocolate cake.....) that I refuse to rush through any part of it. Right now my 5 year old is working on the phonics sounds, which are technically the first 5 weeks. We're just camping out there all year, and I'll start the writing sections with her next school year.
The teacher's manual comes complete with DVDs that explain the week's work. I always have my manual handy and take copious notes, especially as the levels get higher. Mrs. Beers gives excellent, easy to follow instructions and I now have four children who read above grade level as a result. If you have multiple children like I do, I have found that I do not need to re-watch the DVDs if I take great notes. Once in a blue moon, I'll pop a DVD in for a refresher, but it is very rare.
After mastering the phonics sounds (using flashcards and writing them) you begin with weekly spelling lists. What I adore about this method is the student isn't memorizing 'sight words'. I have a little saying: Sight words are of the devil. If teachers use "sight words" then they either don't know or are too lazy to teach the reasons behind spelling. Instead your child is using what they have learned of the letters, vowel teams and consonant teams, and putting them together to make words. This method teaches WHY we spell the way we do rather than simply "spell it this way" and it gets much deeper and involved as the years progress.
Level 1 consists of four sections for the student: Blueprints (spelling lists), Building Codes, Composition and First Readers. I've already mentioned the spelling lists. You, the teacher, will dictate five words a day. Having a white-board in your classroom is helpful, but not necessary. Without the white board (which is lost to us until our basement is finished) I dictate the word and have the student spell it for me verbally before writing it on their list while I watch for proper letter formation.
Building Codes: Here is where the student records phonics and spelling rules as you teach them. Mrs. Beers has come up with little songs to help the student (and teacher) remember these rules. They are catchy and really stick with the student. I really wish Mrs. Beers would produce a separate CD with just the Rule Tunes. Otherwise, you have to find them on the teaching DVD to refresh your memory. There is a hard copy of the words to each tune in the teacher's manual which is helpful, but as someone who can't really carry a tune, this can be painful to my children.
Composition: The students eventually build up to writing sentences.
First Readers: These are wonderful and probably my favorite part of this level. Often when children are learning how to read, they rely on the pictures in a book to figure out what the words say. These readers do the opposite. They are four-page stories with no pictures, increasing in difficulty as the year progresses. The student reads the page and illustrates what they read. This is not only fun, but it lets you see -- literally -- that the student understands what they are reading. After they are done, I staple the pages together and the student is so proud to show off their book and read it to a dad, grandparent or sibling.

This is getting long (as predicted) so I'll review each of the next levels in subsequent posts.


Special Note Concerning Spelling Tests:
After publishing this post, some readers who are also using Phonics Road were surprised by this revelation of tests and scoring keys. Apparently the tests and scoring scale are not included in all levels. First, understand that as I've been using this program with multiple students for multiple years, I've rearranged many of the included papers to new locations to fit my needs. Upon further examination, there are no Spelling Tests included in Level 1 (though I still give them as I'm testing my older students). There are four tests included in Level 2, but I cannot find a grading scale that came with the volume. Since I can't remember what I did yesterday, remembering how I graded those tests five years ago is a mystery to me. The good news is that if you are only up to Level 2, you can get a free printable scoring scale here. I've been using the scoring scale found in Level 3. In Level 3, there are three spelling tests, and the scoring scale is printed on the back of the third, making it impossible even for me to lose. Level 4 also has three tests and a scoring key.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, how I hope you will help me! I know I am making this much more difficult than it needs to be, which is why I am asking for help!

    I looked into Phonics Road and loved the philosophy behind it. I started Level 1 with our 5yo son last year, and after spending half the year on letter sounds, I gave up and went to All About Reading. My son started reading by the end of the year with that program, and so I was happy with AAR.

    But now I am back to square one. I just now looked into Latin Road, and I absolutely love the way that Phonics Road ties into it. I would love to study Latin myself with Latin Road...

    I still want to implement Phonics Road because it is a whole language approach and makes so much sense to understand the English language! But I have so much trouble trying to have focused time to watch the DVDs (which is a difficult method for me, anyway, because I just don't have much of an attention span when it comes to the TV!). I have written notes through Week 7, but I am still struggling with the big picture here.

    First of all, can you give me a short version of how you conduct this for a child in Level 1? Does the daily schedule look a bit like this (beyond Week 5):

    Review old words or sounds and/or take a spelling test
    Introduce new words and/or building codes
    Practice writing the new words with markings
    (Play a game to practice??)
    .... at what point do they put the final "blueprint" copy into their notebook? Is the final copy what is considered his "test" the next day?
    and then how does it look when you get to reading and/or composition?

    Do you know of anyone who has written a script or outline for Phonics Road? I would love to have notes for this program, as I don’t always have the time to dedicate to watching a dvd vs. reading a lesson. I’m totally sold on the philosophy and love what I see in the Latin Road! (Again, I already own Phonics Road Level 1 – just hoping I can get it in a format that works better for me, the teacher, who doesn’t have much of an attention span for sitting and watching DVDs!)

    I need a simple plan or outline to follow for our overall Language Arts instruction via Phonics Road. I can listen to rule tunes and make sure I know each word's markings for new word forms I have not yet seen. But I am seriously zoning out when I watch the DVDs!

    Please email me at brandyferrell at yahoo dot com. I would sincerely appreciate it more than you can ever imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brandy,
      Thanks for reading. There is an online support group for Phonics Road which I moderate on yahoo groups. You can join the group by going to this link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/using_phonics-road/. Then choose "Join This Group". You should cut and paste this message and send it to the group. There are a lot of great ladies who can offer their thoughts.
      Unfortunately, if you can't find the gumption to watch the DVDs for Level 1, the future levels will be near impossible. Level 4 was a staggering amount of information to take in. Mrs. Beers has made it as easy as she can by showing you what to do step by step. I'm at a loss for another way of doing it.
      I don't necessarily follow the lesson plans exactly. In fact, with my second oldest son, I've spread the levels out over two years instead of one.
      Also, age 5 is a little young (in my opinion) to do Level 1. I did the sounds of the letters this year with my 5 year old girl, and we'll do the rest of Level 1 this coming year for first grade. At that level, I would not work for more than a half hour a day. If that means stretching it out to more than a year, so be it. It's far more important to me that a child learn to mastery than we "check off a box".
      Phonics Road is a very teacher-intensive program, no bones about it. As a former English teacher, I guess it doesn't overwhelm me that much in the preparation, but can be overwhelming in the time commitment. If you can't make that time commitment (not everyone can!) then maybe start shopping around for something more student-directed, though I cringe at that thought. I don't believe Language Arts can be self-taught, but that's only my opinion! You have to do what works for you. (Maybe K12 or another online program?)
      I hope that helps! And please throw these ideas out to the group. They are a very helpful bunch of ladies.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I do want to be involved in the instruction! It's not the time commitment as much as the method. (It's a character flaw - I zone out so badly with these videos because watching TV is not easy for me!) But I really want to use Phonics Road (I love the LATIN!!!), so I will find a way to watch and FOCUS on the videos. I just now joined the group. Many thanks for your help! And thank you for all you have posted about the program! Will visit with you more via the yahoo group! :)

      Brandy at Half-a-Hundred Acre Wood

      Delete
    3. Here's a thought: What if you divide the DVD viewing into ten minute increments? Then pause it, walk away, and come back later. I'm trying to think of ways to make it easier for you. This is a tough problem! In this day and age, people are TOO capable of sitting in front of DVDs or tvs for hours upon hours, and that's NOT a good thing! We'll help you figure this out... (just added you to the group)

      Delete
  2. I'm interested, but also put off by the idea of watching DVDs. I am a copy editor and I read much faster than people can talk. I also hate sitting and watching TV for acquiring information. Seems like such a waste of time. Maybe you can talk the company into compiling your notes and selling them in place of the DVDs for people like me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting this, now I realize I was right to trust my gut. I started using Phonics Road with my 5 yo last year. The first week I realized there was no way we were going to keep up with the program as scheduled. We spent the year working on her learning the phonograms and this year (1st Grade) we continued where we left off. Again when we reached the spelling words I realized I need to take it slower than scheduled, but I must say, what my dd knows, she really knows. We love the rule tunes and I am thrilled to see how I am using what we've learned to help me pronounce new words I've come across. One point I would make about the videos is to make sure you have your foreman's manual and take notes directly on the pages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To continue my comment, my dd likes to watch the video with me. I let her watch it as sort of a review after we have covered the content shown. We don't do that for every lesson, but it is a nice change now and then. I think Phonics Road is an excellent program and we are very happy with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To reorganize your posts to the order you would like: Blogger's default mode is to show the latest post last. So... when in editing mode for each post, go to Post Settings on the right sidebar. Click on "Published On" and re-set the time of your post. Set the time or date of the post you want to appear first on your page as the latest time or date and work backwards. (Example: Set Level 1 to March 23, Level 2 to March 22, Level 3 to March 21, Level 4 to March 20)

    Still trying to get the hang of the DVD watching. I seem to come back to these posts over and over again as I keep battling may way through PR! Oh, how I would love written notes for this program! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lack of written lessons is what has kept me from implementing The Phonics Road, for the last two years. I really love the program, I just can't seem to organize it and implement it. I have 6 kids all under 10. To be fair my 10 year old is a completely independent learner. But then I have two girls (7,6) in 1st grade, and a 4yo who is bright, and keeps up with the 1st grade, plus a 2 yo, and a 1yo (potty training), and I have Mercury toxicity (which gives me insane brain fog alot of the time)... I found this post, by searching for lesson plans for The Phonics Road. I was hoping that some mom out there, had taken the time to watch the videos, make the notes, and share them with the world. I want to implement the program... I'm not sure I can look forward to 8 years of struggling though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. One thing I mentioned, that might take a small load off, is that I've only watched the DVDs one time, when my oldest was going through the program, and took lots of notes. I now have my 4th child going through (in Level 2) and every day; I just open the book and pick up where we left off; I spend no time preparing or reviewing. If watching the videos through the first time is too much of a burden, I'd say the program may not be for you. It is quite teacher intensive, and sometimes our life circumstances just don't allow for that. It's possible you may need a more student-led Language Arts program for the time being.

      Delete