Thursday, March 22, 2012

Review: Christian Kids Explore series

We used these books (published by Bright Ideas Press*) when my oldest sons were in 2nd/3rd grade and 4th/5th grade. The first year we used biology. I'm pretty sure I had won the book from The Old Schoolhouse magazine back in the days when they had their "count the apples" contests. I miss those contests.
This was a great fit for my then second and fourth grader. At this age, I believe reading to them is the best style. These books are written to be read to a range of ages, and the concepts were easy to understand for both my boys. The reproducible coloring pages with each chapter are wonderfully detailed and a great activity for the children while you read. The reinforcement activities are simple and rarely require a trip to the store.
Being so pleased with Biology, we moved on to Chemistry and Physics the following year. The books contain 30 lessons each. By completing 2 to 3 lessons a week, we easily finished both in one school year. Let me just say, I am NOT a science-y person. I was an English major. Shakespeare? Yes. Physics? No. (Unless you count all the times I trip and fall, furthering my understanding of gravity.)
These books took concepts that I struggled with as a junior and senior in high school (and I was no slacker), and explained them on a level my 3rd and 5th grade boys understood, without watering down the subject matter. Each time we did a chapter review (which I did orally) they blew me away with their comprehension of the subject matter. The chemistry book in particular really struck a chord with my oldest son who still reads about chemistry, has a periodic table on his wall and would love to study chemistry in college.
Again, the experiments were very easy, and the only items I had to go out of my way to purchase (side note, having to go to the store is "going out of my way" in general) were Styrofoam balls for building models of atoms.
If you ascribe to a Charlotte Mason, living books sort of style, you will enjoy these books. They are written very conversationally, leading to easy discussion with your children. I never read a chapter ahead of time. When it was time for science, I just cracked the book and we dove in. I did glance ahead to prepare for experiments and make copies if necessary, but I did not spend a lot of time planning.
I highly recommend these books because of their ease-of-use and affordability. You buy one book, no matter how many children you have, and can make copies of the experiment and coloring pages. So for $40, if you have two children, that's $20 a year for science, or $40 for a year if you use two books.
You can't beat that with a stick.

*Disclosure: I am a Bright Ideas Press affiliate, meaning I will earn money if you purchase anything from them using my link. I became an affiliate AFTER posting this review and only agreed to do so because I really do endorse their products.

No comments:

Post a Comment