Thursday, March 22, 2012

Phonics Road: Level 4

Level 4: This is the tour de force of the elementary series. Although intended for a fourth grader, I've never had one genius enough to do work of this caliber. Instead, son #1 used this in 6th grade, as will son #2. This level contains a new section -- Sentences to Analyze -- and eliminates "Building Codes as there should be no further need for reviewing the phonics rules at this point. That will be done through daily spelling words in the Spelling Log. Something I don't want to fail to mention is this level requires quite a bit more preparation on the teacher's part than previous levels. I would always watch the teacher's DVD on Sunday afternoons; this level found me in front of the computer sometimes for an hour. The grammar concepts tackled here are complex; I have a BA in English Language Arts and Literature, and sometimes the lessons hurt my head. But thoroughly understanding it will pay off for your student. I don't want to discourage you, but I also don't want anyone heading into this level without fully realizing the level of commitment required.

Spelling Log: This section takes on a new look from the previous level: One column is for spelling words, and a column on the right is for taking these words and adding prefixes or suffixes, transferring the skills from last year's Designing Codes to another English application. Did you ever know that, like Latin, prefixes change the meaning of a word and suffixes change the part of speech? It's fascinating things like this that your student will learn, and learn well, with this program. The student will also be looking for the daily words in the dictionary and record parts of speech. The Designing Applications are supposed to be done on Thursday and Friday, but I just dictated them while giving the spelling words.
Framing Codes: This year Mrs. Beers continues the pattern of working on grammar Monday through Thursday and Designing Codes on Friday. Again, to build, define and look up 12 words in a day is just too much, so we spread it out through the week.
Sentences to Analyze: Raise your hand if you loved to diagram sentences growing up! Yeah, I'm not raising my hand either, and I'm a grammar nerd extraordinaire. When I was in school, I think diagramming was something the teacher had us do when they wanted peace and quiet. But when done in context, and with a very good understanding of parts of speech, it can vastly increase your student's comprehension of how the English language functions, and greatly help in the process of learning a second language. As the students have already been identifying parts of speech for two levels now, the transition is not difficult. The sentences start very simple and increase in complexity until you think your head will explode. But the understanding you and your student will reap about the English language from this activity is priceless.
Literature Study: I had never read Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, but once again, Mrs. Beers hits a home run with her literature choice for this year. As the book is about a sailor, the study covers geography, history, science with grammar and math thrown in for good measure. I simply can't sing enough praises for this section.

The only negative thing I can say about this program is, though there is much work on the structure of writing (sentences, paragraphs, rewriting from memory, dictation) I felt my son needed more in the way or writing. This year we used the Jump In writing program in lieu of moving forward to Latin Road, and I'm really glad we did. I don't think it's necessary to teach formal writing in depth before middle school, when the student can be an active participant and truly absorb the process. But I also don't believe in Kindergarten or unicorns, so do what you think is best.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had a chance to begin reviewing the DVD's for Level 4 yet, but I noticed that there is no Daily Schedule for Spelling Log, nothing to say which words to do which day or what the designing application is for (other than obviously another word with prefix/suffix added). Am I missing it or is that a departure from years past?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ginger, Yes, the spelling list will be explained on the DVD each week. It is definitely set up differently than the previous three levels as your student will be expanding on their spelling words. We're moving more from "spelling" here to "word building". I would elaborate, but I haven't taught this volume in 2 years (I'll be teaching it again next year, though!)
    Thanks so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete