Saturday, March 31, 2012

Dreams, or How I Came to Title This Blog

I’m a dreamer. Anyone who knew me as a child will laugh knowingly because I was infamous for my staring-out-the-window episodes. I can daydream so deeply that I won’t even hear someone talking to me. I am extremely gifted in blocking out the world. (Which is awesome, because sometimes the world stinks.)
But I also dream vividly. Only recently was I given tools for interpreting these dreams. (Side note: For those Christians who are going to balk at my belief of God speaking in dreams and dreams being interpreted by other Christians, you can pick up your Bible and read all the accounts in both the Old and New Testaments of this actually happening. Cessationist theology is something I won’t entertain.)

Two nights ago, I dreamt the title of this blog, God showed me why I should use it, and I remember writing approximately five blog entries in their entirety… all in my sleep.
“The (Next) Homeschool Mom” is a reference to those whom I will reach who are considering homeschooling. So, who will be the next homeschool mom? I’ve had the honor of encountering many of them on my journey: mom’s who are new to this culture and need a friend or mentor to answer their questions, encourage them, or maybe just let them talk. I can imagine that entering this arena would sometimes be  like moving to a foreign culture. Homeschoolers have their own ways of doing things, thinking, interacting and even their own buzz words. I think that can be intimidating to a newcomer, so I’d like to lessen that culture shock.
Speaking of dreaming, last night while reading myself to sleep, I stumbled upon this little piece of brilliance in Middlemarch:
I call it improper pride to let fools’ notions hinder you from doing a good action. There’s no sort of work that could ever be done well, if you minded what fools say. You must have it inside you that your plan is right, and that plan you must follow.
So my first piece of advice to those considering homeschooling is just that: homeschooling is a good action. Don’t let the fools discourage you from doing what you know you are supposed to do. Find encouragement from someone experienced, but if you know the plan is right, carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment